DAIZIN

This is just a forum for me to vent and try to be creative. Hopefully it'll make me rich, though not neccessarily famous. Who needs fame? Anyway, stranger things have happened. Haven't they?

11.12.2010

AIN'T IT HELL?

I believe in prayer.

Many times, I have asked God for help and have received it. It has happened often enough, and they (my prayers) have been answered in enough unlikely circumstances that I am convinced that it isn’t coincidence, happenstance, a product of my mind seeing what it desperately hopes to see, or any other explanation that some of the more cerebral among us may prefer.

It’s ironic because I have been accused of being “too intellectual” to understand or properly embrace God by some who feel that just trusting and having a relationship with God isn’t enough. You have to have a trust in their particular God and have a particular kind of relationship dictated by their religion or it doesn’t really count.

I’m not a religious guy. I was raised in a Baptist church, Berean, that sat right smack dab in the middle of the Robert Taylor projects in Chicago. When I was about 11 or 12 my parents and many of the other, older parishioners had a falling out with the pastor when he tried to bring in new blood, so I started going to my neighborhood church, a Lutheran church, Bethany. I went their probably until my mid-teens and then stopped going to any church whatsoever. Since then, in my early twenties, I was involved in Buddhism and I found that very gratifying, but that ended when they wanted to do a number that was too much like the canvassing that Jehovah Witnesses do.

I don’t have anything against religion. I’m not angry or antagonistic toward it ala Bill Maher or Christopher Hitchens. Of course, those guys are straight-up atheists, something that I am definitely not! But it’s funny how some people don’t seem to differentiate when you don’t embrace their religious beliefs. My experience has been that, no matter how much you protest to the contrary, the minute that you say, “I’m not religious.” What they hear is, “I don’t believe in God!”

Or you could just be a poor unfortunate who has latched on to the wrong religion, or even the right religion but – bzzzz! Sorry contestant! Wrong denomination!!!

I remember once, when I was in Somalia, in ’93, there was a guy in my company that was very, very religious. He was a young guy, about 25; nice guy, very pleasant, but with just that touch of self-righteousness that some very religious people have. Anyway, back then, when I was too young to know better, I found myself engaged in a theological debate/discussion with him. I remember, I asked him, “What about people in remote parts of the world, say the Amazonian rainforest or something, that haven’t had an opportunity to know Jesus? Do they still go to hell when they die?” Short answer? “Yes, they do.” He went on to explain how the bible says that every person will have a chance to accept Jesus as their personal savior before they die. Any argument that I had was futile. He was a true believer! After more ignorant questions from me… “Why would God give us so many choices and then, if we pick the wrong one, sentence us to eternal damnation? In fact, why sentence his ‘children’ whom he loves, to eternal damnation for any reason?”…. I could tell that I was starting to get on his nerves with my heathen banter, so I let it go.

Hell is a deep and, as it is popularly believed in, completely and frighteningly ridiculous concept to me. Really, what good purpose could hell really serve? To me, that’s like telling my son, “Ok son. You’ve had twenty-one years to get your shasta together and you’ve continuously made the wrong choices, so every day, from here on out, I’m going to keep you locked in this room, chained to this pole, and I will come in and beat you every day for an hour or two, maybe more. Additionally, I will feed you just enough to keep you alive so that I can beat and torture you some more. I love you more than I can say and I hate to do it, but I gave you every chance! Twenty-one years I gave you son! And you wouldn’t do right! So, now, though I love you more than you can begin to comprehend I will have to torture you for…. let’s see…. probably the next sixty years or so, if we both live long enough!”

Preposterous, childish, blasphemous you say? I agree. Entirely. Not to mention unnecessary, sadistic, pointless and evil, just to touch on some adjectives. But I would also argue that those don’t begin to equal those same qualities, in much greater measure, when compared to the concept of hell. And, if nothing else, it seems to me that my scenario and the concept of hell are certainly comparable.

But, you know, even as I write this, a small part of me, the part that was raised in Berean and Bethany, who went to Sunday school and retreat, kind of shudders at what I am saying here. Deep down, or maybe not so deep, a voice whispers, “You’re going to hell for this, Ric!” It’s like something out of a horror movie! Funny, huh?

You know, I started out this post intending to write about prayer. I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Anyway, maybe I can get some comments this time! People get real upset when you challenge their religious beliefs. And I understand that. That’s why I usually stay away from it, but writing brings out the brat in me sometimes and I just have to say things that I ordinarily wouldn’t.

That brings me to one last encounter with a deeply religious person that I feel compelled to share (the encounter – not the person). Not long after I was introduced to the wonders of Facebook I ran across an old schoolmate that I went to grade school with, many, many eons ago. We started talking via Facebook messages after I let her know that I wasn’t too fond of telephone conversation. Thankfully, she seemed to number amongst us rare weirdoes who actually enjoy writing. We had many enjoyable conversations back and forth. Then, about a week or two in, she mentioned her strong religious beliefs. I couldn’t patronize her so I told her how I felt about religion. Her messages abruptly slowed and then, after she assured me that she didn’t resent me for challenging her beliefs, she stopped messaging all together.

In a sense I don’t blame her. Who wants to talk to someone whose beliefs, or lack thereof, so radically conflict with their own? On the other hand, I believe in live and let live. If your beliefs work for you; if they give you a peace and contentment and you’re not hurting anyone, I feel like, “More power to you!” That’s another reason that I don’t like to talk religion with the very religious. I don’t want them to think that I’m trying to get them to be a heathen like me. I’m just explaining my heathenistic viewpoint. I don’t know why I bother though. As far as I know, it has never made any impression beyond making the person in question fear that much more for my eternal soul.

I’m sorry. I just don’t believe in that. My God loves me…. and you…. and everyone else, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof. I know. My God’s no good. I picked the wrong one, didn’t I?

2 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, November 14, 2010, Anonymous Farria said...

Gee, I'm surprised there are no comments. No one wants to discuss religion, eh? ;)
You know, the concept of hell was something I struggled with, too. Like you, I was raised Baptist. And like you, I struggled with the concept of the same kind and loving God who gave his only son to the cross sentencing anyone to hell for any reason short of cold-blooded murder. Like you, I'd had the misfortune of dealing with some pretty self-righteous Christians, and for a long time, I was pretty turned off by "The Church." I've recently begun a new path, however. My recent financial circumstances have been sorta...dire, and as a result, I've become much closer to God and I've been on the path to becoming a "better" Christian. The concept of hell had to be explained to me directly before I "got it."
Man is born in sin, so we are all ALREADY on our way to hell. It's God's grace that SAVES us from that. In other words, He is not sending us to hell--He is saving us from it. That's what people mean when they say, "I'm saved." Additionally, I sometimes wonder if hell is more symbolic than actual (but don't tell my pastor that!).
Now, to be completely honest, I don't know how to answer your question about all the other religions out there. Like you, I have trouble with the notion that those folks are going to hell for things they may not even know about. Doesn't seem fair that some rainforest tribesman, who has no concept of Jesus or God (as we know Him, anyway) is on his way to hell and not even know why. He hasn't even had the chance to seek salvation, and even if he had, his life is very different from ours, and odds are he wouldn't. He's essentially damned due to his circumstances. This bothers me, because he is one of God's children, same as you and me. God created that man, and knows his life path--same as yours and mine. So wouldn't The Almighty KNOW this man wasn't "saved?" In my fledgling Christianity (my "conscious" Christianity, anyway!), I don't have an answer for you. It's something I'll have to keep learning about.
This could be a very interesting discussion....
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? .......Bueller? :)

 
At 11:26 PM, November 17, 2010, Blogger ric said...

Thanks so much Farria, for your commnent. It's hard enough getting people to even read this damn thing, and when they do they rarely take the time to comment. Of course, it's a numbers game and, for some reason, despite my relentless promotion on FB, very few people have been coming to check it out. It's a tad discouraging, so I thank you again!

I get the whole concept of being "saved" from hell, but I still think the concept of a literal hell is, quite frankly, a tad nutso! But also, as I alluded to, I feel that whatever helps a person achieve peace and a closer relationship with their God and, therefore, everyone and everything else, is all good to me! My Schnooks goes to church every Sunday and I was joking with Rachelle, my wife, that I wouldn't mind if she got saved so she could chill out!

Honestly, I just got seriously side-tracked just now. There have been probably at least 3 hours between the words "Snooks goes to church..." and the rest of what I have typed. I'm at work so it's not exactly the idea place to put in work, naw mean. Plus I'm tired as hell (pardon the pun)!

More later......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home