DAIZIN

This is just a forum for me to vent and try to be creative. Hopefully it'll make me rich, though not neccessarily famous. Who needs fame? Anyway, stranger things have happened. Haven't they?

12.21.2006

WHO’S AFRAID OF THE BIG BAD WORD?

I like to write. That would be obvious, I would think. I’ve preferred using the written word to verbal intercourse to communicate my more urgent thoughts, as well as some frivolous ones, for as long as I can remember. For that reason the arrival of email was a wonderful event for me.

The problem, I’ve found, is that a lot of people don’t share my love of written discourse. I used to send friends long missives, written and checked for errors or better verbiage and ways to communicate what I was trying to say. I would anxiously send it off, only to receive…no response, two-sentence responses to my labored-over text, and even just pictures or jokes. Over time I learned who was inclined to write significant responses and who wasn’t. The first group is small. There is my sister, my niece, and one friend. There is a larger group that responds, but not as thoroughly as I would like. One friend usually responds to my emails with a phone call. He’s of above-average intelligence, is certainly literate, but prefers to flap his gums on the phone than engaging in the arduous task of actually writing. I don’t.

Writing provides me with the opportunity to mull over what I want to say, word it carefully, and present it in the best way that I can, something that speaking extemporaneously does not. The biggest problem that I have with emailing involves time constraints, and I know that that is a problem for many. I understand that and empathize. But the thing about not wanting to write…? I don’t get it. Of course, I wouldn’t expect to. It’s like a friend once said to me when I was wondering why two men would want to be sexually intimate with each other: He said that if I understood it I would most likely be a homosexual so I should be grateful that I didn’t. (Not politically correct? Good. Maybe I can get some comments for a change.)

I enjoy writing. Many people don’t. I enjoy reading. Many people don’t. I don’t get it, but I don’t understand why, say, Celine Dion has become rich singing cloying, pedantic love songs in her patented exaggerated, annoying way. That I don’t understand it has made her no less wealthy so I guess that I should get over it. In time I guess that I’ll get over other’s aversion to writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home