DAIZIN

This is just a forum for me to vent and try to be creative. Hopefully it'll make me rich, though not neccessarily famous. Who needs fame? Anyway, stranger things have happened. Haven't they?

12.13.2010

PARENTING IN 2010

One of my worst nightmares is starting to come true. My youngest daughter is already starting to show signs of the rebelliousness and disrespectful attitudes that my two oldest children have displayed. I had hoped that my wife’s and my efforts to keep her on the straight and narrow, so to speak, would help her not to model her sibling’s behaviors. But already, at just ten, she is starting to parrot some of the same concepts… she isn’t using the same verbiage – “you are disrespecting me”, but it seems to be the same thing. She seems to have a problem understanding the parent/child dynamic. She feels that it is wrong when she isn’t allowed to do what she wants if she feels strongly about something or speak out on something that she feels strongly about. It seems that the days of a child knowing their place are a thing of the long-ago past. And the thing is that Rachelle and I give her a fair amount of leeway, but there are times when you have to say “No” and/or “Be quiet”. She doesn’t get that.

Maybe it’s a bit of karma on my part. Some of my friends seemed to feel that I got away with a lot of questioning and got to do or not do a lot of things that I wanted or did not want to do when I was growing up. I would want to know what their reasoning was for one thing or another. I felt that I was supposed to be heard. However – and this is a major difference – I knew when I had pushed the envelope a little too far. I knew that if I didn’t be quiet when I was told to or, God help me, got loud or something I was going to get my behind tanned.

Zoe has probably only had her butt whupped a little more than a handful of times in her life. Partially because until recently there weren’t a lot of reasons to do so, partially because I hate doing it (the old cliché “This hurts me as much as it hurts you” definitely has some resonance for me now), and partially because I have had some doubts about its effectiveness as a child-rearing tool. But her behavior today is giving me second thoughts! “Spare the rod – spoil the child!” I was just talking with someone the other day about how parents have lost control of their children and how the police will come and arrest you if your kids claim that you have “abused” them. I tell you what! I was “abused” a fair share of times growing up and I’m glad that I was! As bad and stupid as I have been in the past, I shudder to think how much worse I might have been if I didn’t know, growing up, that a belt or switch might be waiting on the other side of that decision or action!

The thing that really galls me, and maybe this is shallow of me, is that she just returned from Disney World yesterday! Though we really couldn’t afford it, I bent over backwards to make sure that she was able to perform and spend the weekend with the rest of the chorus group that she is a member of. And then to hear her tell us that we don’t care about her and we treat her badly?! I wanted to scream!!!

Her brother has seemed to always have trouble understanding that he was the child and we were the parent, as far back as I can remember. Zoe’s sister didn’t really starting acting out until she hit her teens, but then it seems as if she was trying to make up for lost time. In fact, I really believe that it is DeVecchi that Zoe is mainly mimicking because that was the main person that she saw acting out in the last few years, when she was old enough to think that she understood what was going on. And what I think that she got from her sister’s (and her brother’s) dysfunctional acting out is that she should have, if not all of the rights and privileges of an adult, at least the majority of them. Then again, I didn’t have anyone modeling that type of behavior for me so where did I get my notions from? For one thing, my siblings were much older than me and were all out of the house by the time that I was five years old. Furthermore, my parents were a lot stricter with them than they were with me. Maybe I was just spoiled. Is Zoe spoiled? I don’t think so. Maybe it’s just a case of the sins of the father…. I really don’t know.

I do know that I think that I’m going to get her to a therapist. Something is going on and I want to do everything that I can to nip it in the bud now! I want her to maximize the gifts that God has given her. Her grades are starting to slip this year. She might be looking at not being on the honor roll for the first time. Of course, that is mainly, by the observations of both her teacher and what Rachelle and I know, due to her being easily distracted, having notable problems focusing and being disorganized. At any rate, I think that a therapist will help us address and, God willing, work through all of those problems.

I would really appreciate some feedback for this one from the 2 – 3 persons who will possibly read it. If anyone has had similar experience that they might be able to draw upon to help us to understand and work through this, I would truly love to hear from you! Even if you haven’t had any experience in this arena I still want to hear from you.

6 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, December 14, 2010, Anonymous Yo Sister said...

You don't remember much about your childhood, do you? You don't remember having tantrums in Sears on 79th Street because mama walked by the popcorn and wouldn't buy some for you. You don't remember Jackie talking to mama about you because she took you somewhere and you chose to completely misbehave and not follow any of her directions to the point where she said if you couldn't mind her, she couldn't take you anywhere. Children are put here to "try your soul" and most of the time they do an excellent job of it. Zoe has had you wrapped around her finger since she came into the world and you wonder if she's spoiled????? It is perfectly okay to sit down with a child and let the child know that you and her mother cannot afford to buy....... or afford for her to go....... You may want to do everything you can for this child and that's not good. Disappointments are a part of life and children have to experience them so they will learn how to deal with them. It's interesting that you say and she just came back from Disneyworld and you bent over backward to ensure that she would go. Do you expect exemplary behavior because she took a trip??? Children do NOT think the way we do. That trip makes no difference to her AND if you bring it up, you will heap a whole pile of guilt on her. That's not effective either. Have you set clear boundaries for her speech and school work and the consequences??? I can remember you talking to mama, at times, and I'd listen to you and wonder when you were going to get knocked down on the floor!!!! I know if I had said some of those same things, I'd STILL be on the floor!! You have to realize, she's NOT mimicking her sister. She's being herself and you and Rachelle are going to have to present a united front to make it through the next 8 or 9 years!!!!

 
At 5:59 PM, December 14, 2010, Blogger ric said...

OH YEAH! Well!.......
.......ok. I've gotta think about that for a while.

 
At 6:24 PM, December 15, 2010, Blogger ric said...

Seriously though? If I'm not mistaken I already said that I was a spoiled child. I don't have any illusions about that. As for Zoe being spoiled... I don't know about that. Zoe hears "no" plenty, believe me! Sometimes too much! I just really wanted her to go to Disney World! Do you know that we were an hour and a half from Six Flags in Milwaukee and she never went? We are thirty minutes from it here and she hasn't been there either. I was determined that she would go to Disney World. Sue me. Also, she definitely has boundaries as far as what she can say or do and she usually respects them. The few times I've had to discipline her old school style was when she got a little beside herself. Lastly, again I said that I was spoiled, but I did get whuppings. By you and Joyce's and Jackie and Mickey's standards, yes, I had it easy. But there was a limit as to how far I could push things. Much like, I guess, Zoe. There is a limit to how much she can get away with; it just might be that her limit is greater than mine, just as mine was greater than yours.
Oh! Last thing! Really! She has been witness to Vecchi saying all kinds of outlandish mess and, on some level it seems to us that she is parroting what she heard her sister and her brother saying. Again, the whole "disrespect" thing, which I think is absolutely ridiculous! Short of something really out there like peeing on her or something it is very hard for a parent to "disrespect" their child. Her siblings and now her version of that is that they were told something they didn't like, or yelled at, or told to be quiet. I do believe she learned some of that from her brother and sister.

 
At 3:33 PM, December 28, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'll admit that my kids are still pretty young (soon to be 5 and 3), so we haven't reached the horrors of preteen/adolescent angst yet (Thank GOD). I realize Zoe is only 10, but from what you've told me in the past, she's very precocious (sp?). Could be that she's just experiencing those frightening preteen growing pains a little sooner than expected.
I don't know you or your family that well. But from what you've told me, I gotta agree with your sister. Maybe Zoe needs more (firmer) boundaries and more (heavier) consequences? Zoe certainly sounds mature enough to understand that you can't afford every little thing her heart desires. She's also old enough to understand "a child's place." It'll be hard to enforce if she hasn't had it yet, but better to make this clear NOW as opposed to trying it when she's 14. Also, at the risk of sounding like a child-abuser, my kids are no strangers to spankings. Obviously, they're not effective if you're always doing it, but I believe that when you spare the rod, you DO spoil the child. Kids that are my kids' ages cannot be "reasoned with." I teach them they don't talk back by popping that mouth when they do. And you know what? I've only had to do that TWICE in Jaidyn's nearly 5 years on earth for backtalk. Now, I'm not saying it's right for every child in every single situation. I'm just saying that physical punishment has its uses.
So, there's my $0.02. Take it or leave it as you see fit. :)
By the way, I know I haven't been able to read your blog lately, so I realize this was some time ago. Have you taken her to the therapist? Has her behavior improved?

 
At 3:35 PM, December 28, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, one more question. Does Zoe have chores? An allowance? Personally, I think this is a great way to teach kids all kinds of fabulous lessons. If she doesn't, maybe it's a good time to start that. Chores just because she has to, or chores for an allowance. I think both could be a benefit (if you're not already doing this).

 
At 3:37 PM, December 28, 2010, Anonymous Farria said...

Ok, sorry--one more thing. Anonymous is Farria, btw. I just realized I'd forgotten to put my name on this.
That's all. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home